Waffles! They don't always have to be a sinful treat. Try this low carb high protein waffle recipe which you can enjoy for breakfast, dessert or as a snack! It is gluten free and sugar free too!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
- Grab a large bowl and make sure it is clean and grease free.
- Separate 2 egg whites into the large bowl, and 2 egg yolks in a smaller bowl. Pop the egg white bowl in the freezer for about 15 mins.
Prepare flour mixture
- Melt butter in a microwave.
- Add butter, milk and vanilla extract into the bowl with 2 egg yolks.
- Add sifted flour, protein powder, baking powder and cinnamon powder to the bowl and mix well. Don’t overmix it.
- Set aside.
- Take the bowl from the freezer.
- Add salt to the mixture.
- Now beat the egg white mixture with an electric mixer in medium speed for about 30 secs until it turns frothy.
- Then slowly add your sweetener in thirds and turn on your electric mixer to the highest speed.
- Beat the egg whites until it’s smooth and glossy. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. It will take about 3 minutes. Make sure to not overbeat it.
- Now fold the meringue into the flour mixture in thirds. Mix well but do not overmix it
- Grease your waffle maker/griddle with some oil.
- Follow the instructions of your waffle maker. Adjust your waffle maker based on how brown and crispy you want your waffles to be.
- Wait for it to be preheated then add one scoop of the batter to each slot of your waffle maker. If you have a small waffle maker, then make one at a time. Waffles are tasty even when its cooled.
- It takes about 4 mins for my waffle maker and its done!
- Add your favourite toppings, fruits and cream. Dust it with some powdered sugar free sweeterner and enjoy!
- Lupin flour is really high in protein compared to other flours which makes this a high protein waffles recipes.
- If you don’t have lupin flour, you can replaced it with other flours such as chickpea flour (which is quite high in protein) or you could use regular gluten free flour.
- You may need to add a bit more milk if your protein powder absorbs more water.
- You can use plant based proteins or whey protein. Some protein powder can be gritty and grainy which creates drier and grainy waffles instead of soft and fluffy waffles.
- You can use regular caster sugar if you don’t have zero calories sugar free sweetener.
- You can omit creams and have it plain with berries. You can add more powdered sweetener or fruits instead.
- This recipe makes about 8 waffles.
- You can use plant based milk or dairy milk.